Toothaches can be really hard to
endure. See your dentist ASAP. But if due to some reasons you can not see your
dentist, here are few home remedies for you to relieve you from dental pain.
Cayenne and ginger are powerful
due to relieve you from dental pain. Cayenne pepper contains capsaicin, a
substance that soothes the pain. It also has analgesic properties. Ginger is
packed with antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties, which
are also known to prevent cancer.
• Add 1 tablespoon of powdered cayenne pepper
and ginger paste.
• Mix them well, until you find an evenly
• Use a cotton ball to apply to the affected
• Avoid putting the mixture on gums.
Temporary burning or tingling
sensation can be felt. It is advised not to use this mixture on wounded gums.
2- Salt and pepper
We all know salt is famous for
its pain relieving property. So what do you think when we mix it with other
powerful ingredients. Well, I think nothing could be better than that. Pepper
and salt both the ingredients have antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and
analgesic properties. So when we combine them both it becomes double effective.
• Mix ½ tablespoon of salt and ½ tablespoon
of pepper or you can reduce the quantity, making sure both the ingredients are
in equal amount.
• Add few drops of water, mix them well to
get a paste.
• Use Q tip to apply the paste to the
affected area. You can even use toothbrush if the pain is in a large area.
• Let it sit for 5 minutes.
• Spit it out after 5 minutes.
It can be irritating to gums and
also burning sensation can be felt if pepper quantity is more in the mixture.
Make sure to properly follow the instructions.
We all know how alcohol can be
so addictive. This can also be a remedy for your tooth pain. And it goes
without saying pregnant ladies and children should not be using this. However,
alcohol can numb the pain in no time. Alcohol kills bacteria from your gum and
from the whole of the oral cavity. Bacteria are mostly the cause of tooth pain.
• Take a cup filled with strong alcohol.
• Use it as mouthwash, swish alcohol in your
• Hold it in your mouth for few seconds and
spit it out
• Repeat the process for 3-4 times.
Excess use of alcohol can leave
a stain on your teeth and also dryness of mouth has been noticed with excess
use of alcohol.
Since ages turmeric is being
used for relieving pain. Turmeric mixed with milk is one of the examples of its
action. I am sure you were made to drink that once in your lifetime. That is
because it has inflammation fighting content. Turmeric comes packed with
antiseptic and antimicrobial properties.
• One tablespoon of turmeric in a bowl
• Add few drops of water into turmeric
• Mix it well to get a paste
• Use your finger or Q tip to put this on
• Wait 4-5 minutes before you spit and rinse.
• Repeat this 3-4 times in a day.
There has been no significant
side effect reported yet. The only thing is, it leaves temporary yellow colour
on your teeth.
Myrrh is one reliable home
remedy for tooth infection and pain. Myrrh contains bacteria-fighting content
and also astringent properties. But to use myrrh you need to put some time from
your busy schedule. Once you prepare the mixture it will be enough for 1-2
• Heat two cups of water and add two
tablespoons of powdered myrrh
• Let it heat below boiling point for 30
• Stain and let it cool.
• Mix one tablespoon of myrrh in one cup
• Use it as a mouth wash.
• Repeat this 5-6 times a day.
Pregnant women should avoid
using myrrh. Ingestion of myrrh can stimulate the uterus and might cause a
6- Clove powder and vanilla extract
Combination of two pain reliever
can be super powerful. Clove comprises of eugenol, which takes all the credit
for its pain relieving property. Eugenol has anesthetic and analgesic
properties. Vanilla is famous for its
anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Vanilla also contains a small
amount of alcohol, which is good for numbing action.
• Mix equal amount of clove powder and
• Add few drops of water to make a paste
• Use your fingertip or Q tip to apply the
paste to the affected tooth.
• Let it sit for few minutes.
• Spit and rinse with water
Excess of clove can cause
toxicity, vomiting and sore throat. Vanilla is a safe ingredient, however, if
used in excess it might cause a headache.
Onion is one of the easily
available ingredients in your kitchen. It has been scientifically proved that
onion comprises of bactericidal properties. It is also comprised of antiseptic,
antimicrobial and antifungal properties. If onion is eaten daily by through
mastication, can protect the teeth from various disorders. Chewing of onion is
sufficient to kill all the bacteria in your mouth.
• Cut a piece of raw onion
• Place it on the tooth
• Bite on the piece of onion for 3-4 minute
• You can also chew a piece for 3-4 minute.
• Carry out the remedy for 3 times a day.
Onion might lower blood sugar,
check your blood sugar level before using onion. It can also leave bad smell in
Wheatgrass is not only
healthiest food but it is also one of the top most home remedies for uncountable
problems. Tooth pain is one of the problems which can be relieved by
wheatgrass. Wheatgrass is high in protein and it is also powerful antibacterial
and antiseptic agent.
• Take a cup full of wheatgrass juice
• Use it as mouthwash, swish wheatgrass juice
in your mouth for several times, making sure it reaches each and every part of
your oral cavity.
• Spit it out in wash basin
• Repeat this process before brushing
A person having low blood
pressure should avoid using this as it lowers blood pressure when it is
ingested. Nausea is also one of its side effects.
9- Coconut oil pulling
Coconut oil is famous for its
teeth whitening property, but did you know it is a pain reliever also? Well, if
you use coconut oil when you have dental pain it will provide great relief. If
you use coconut oil you will be benefited by vitamin E, fatty acid and what
not. For toothache, coconut oil is packed with antioxidant anti-microbial and
• Take 2-3 tablespoon of coconut oil in a cup
• Pour that into your mouth
• Swish the oil in your mouth for 20 minutes,
exactly the way you do with your mouthwash
• Spit the oil and rinse it with water
• Brush your teeth
• Repeat this process before brushing
A person allergic to coconut or
coconut oil should avoid this method, as it can cause ulcers in the oral
10- Asafoetida and lemon
Not only does it increase taste
in your food but also relieve you from tooth pain. It comprises of
anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
• Take ¼ tablespoon of asafoetida and ½
tablespoon of lemon juice.
• Mix it and heat the ingredients till you
see asafoetida is fully mixed in lemon juice
• Use cotton ball to put the paste on the
• Let the paste be there for few minutes
• Rinse it with water
• You can even brush your teeth to get rid of
Asafoetida can cause swelling of
lip in some people and also headache. People allergic to asafoetida should
avoid using this.
11- Oregano oil
Oregano oil contains carvacrol
and thymol and these compound contain anti-bacterial, antiseptic and anti-fungal
properties. I am sure by now you know how important anti-bacterial and
anti-fungal properties are for relieving tooth pain. Oregano oil is comprised
• Pour few drops of oregano oil on a cotton
• Place the cotton on affected area.
• Let the cotton be there till you fell pain
• Use this method 3-4 times a day
There are no clinical side
effects as such, the only thing is, it leaves a metallic taste in your mouth.
12- Sesame seeds
Anti-bacterial property of
sesame seeds made it fall on this list. Sesame seeds help reduce tooth pain and
also reduce inflammation.
• Boil a cup of water
• Add 3-4 tablespoon of sesame seed in
boiling water and simmer it for 5 minutes
• Let it cool down to room temperature
• Dib a cotton ball in water
• Place the cotton on affected tooth
• Repeat the process 2-3 times in a day
Itching, nausea, sneezing,
cough, vomiting, urticarial are few side effect on people who are allergic to
13- Baking soda and salt
Baking soda makes teeth
resistant to bacterial infections. Cleansing property of baking soda exfoliates
bacteria. As mentioned above salt has anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory and
• Mix ½ tablespoon of baking soda and salt in
• Dib a cotton ball in the mixture and place
the ball in between affected teeth and cheek
• Leave it for 3-4 hours
• Repeat as needed
Allergic reaction to this mixture
is rare but if it occurs it is in the form of rash, itching dizziness.
14- Olive oil
Not only olive oil protects us
against heart disease but it is also tooth pain reliever. It has strong
anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
• On a cotton ball drop few drops of olive oil
• Put the cotton on the affected teeth
• Let the cotton be there until you feel pain
There are no significant side
effects of olive oil when used for toothache
15- Apple cider vinegar
properties make it effective remedy for tooth pain.
• Dib a cotton ball in unfiltered apple
• Place the cotton on infected teeth
• Leave it for few minutes
• After few minutes remove cotton ball and
rinse your mouth with water
• Repeat this process 2-3 times a day
Long-term use of apple cider
vinegar will erode tooth enamel
These home remedies will only
relieve pain for time being. You need to get to the root cause of pain and only
a good dentist can do that for you.